The Santander Universities Entrepreneurship Awards 2018 is one of the UK’s largest student and graduate business pitching competitions. Students can win £25,000 funding to kick start their business!
Why should you enter?
Of course the money is a great incentive, but the prize offers much more than that including invaluable mentoring from business experts, interns and an accelerator week!
Who should enter?
If you have a business, or are in the development stages of a business, and are a current student or recent graduate, you are probably eligible to enter this competition. Full terms of eligibility are provided in the information pack, downloadable here.
What are the competition categories?
- Technology business – defined as a business or idea with hardware and/or software central to the business value proposition.
- Non-technology business – defined as a business or idea that has a value proposition that is not primarily based around hardware and/or software.
Kingston University will select one entry per category to represent them.
What could you win?
There is a grand prize of £25,000 equity-free seed funding and a runner’s up prize of £15,000 for each of the categories.
All four winners will also receive:
- Mentoring from business experts
- Access to the Accelerator Week
- A fully funded intern
- £500 digital growth voucher from Talent Cupboard
Additionally the Santander judges will be looking out for the entry with the most positive social, community or environmental impact throughout the competition. The successful entry will receive £7,500 of equity-free seed funding, access to the accelerator week and a fully funded intern.
How does the competition work?
Students will need to send their entries to the Kingston University Enterprise department and Kingston University will decide on two winners to fit the categories mentioned above. The two winners of this stage will be put forward into a Regional Heat, and if you are successful at that stage, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in an Accelerator Week which will prepare you for the Nation Finals.
How do I enter?
- A two minute video outlining your business idea and its purpose. (50%)
- A simplified Business Model Canvas (50%) – download here and also download the guide here
- Complete the application form
Then send to the Enterprise department
All entries will then be assessed a winner for each category selected.
Can I enter the competition directly?
No. Entries must be submitted to Santander Universities via the Enterprise Team.
What’s the deadline?
Students will need to submit their applications by Wednesday 11 April midday to be considered to represent Kingston University.
Please note the information pack gives a different deadline for universities to submit their finalists as 24-27 April – This is the universities deadline NOT your deadline.
How can I get started?
- Full awards information pack
- Business model canvas template
- Business model canvas guide
- Application form
If you are unfamiliar with the Business Model Canvas we recommend that you use the resources from Strategyzer
What support can I get?
Please email the Enterprise department if you require any assistance with your application.
Students can also have their pitches recorded on the 21st March by the Kingston Media Department. – Please email here to inquire about spaces.